Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 220: My Creative Space


This is a bit of a cheat's entry - it's actually last week's work but I haven't had time to put together a post.  After procrastinating and worrying about mucking up my "Oh Beehave" quilt block for Esther, I finally dusted off Grandma's jolly Janome, pulled the supplies out of various boxes and got to work.  The instructions were reasonably simple (for someone who knows what they are doing);  the block was to be 10 and 1/2 inches comprising a 6 inch centre block of geometric shapes to be made up of supplied fabric (or added fabric in the autumnal colour palette), including a scrap of plain brown fabric, no more than 1 inch wide, then a border of brown fabric, with a final border made up of supplied scraps and another small piece of brown in corporated.  Whew!  Then there is also the added challenge of working out sizes and seam allowances. Having looked at the blogs of a few people who are involved in quilt block swaps, I thought it might be a good idea to make a practice block.  It actually took me longer to work out what to use in the practice block than it did to make the real thing.  Anyway, the practice block is on the left and the real thing is on the right.  I forgot about the scrap of solid in the practice block, I sewed over a seam the wrong way and had to unpick a couple of seams but it looks OK.  The latitude to rearrange the scrappy border on the real thing got me out of jail on a cutting mistake, but it came together quite well and I hope Esther likes it.  Now for Gina's block and the Mirabel softie!  For more creative spaces, head over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment